Kochberg Park © Klassik Stiftung Weimar

Castle Museum in City Castle

The castle museum is located in the north, east and west wings of the former Residence Castle. The core of the collection is the former grand ducal art collection with works dating from the Middle Ages to modern times (around 1900). It is organised according to the history of the collection and is integrated into the historic castle rooms which are partially furnished in original condition. The collection features the Cranach Gallery with examples of paintings by the old German masters on the ground floor and works by Caspar David Friedrich, Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein, Auguste Rodin and Max Beckmann. Sculptures and crafts dating back to around 1800 are also displayed on the first floor. These include furniture from David Roentgen’s workshop, a number of articles from the dowry of the Tsar’s daughter Maria Pavlovna, and porcelain figures made by European manufacturers. Works by the Weimar school of painting are displayed on the second floor. The modern French and German works dating back to around 1900 were largely acquired by Count Harry Kessler, the former director of the Grand Ducal Museum of Arts and Crafts (today the Neue Museum Weimar).

City Castle

The design of Weimar’s castle, built as a residence for the Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, has changed considerably in its 500-year history. Situated on the bank of the Ilm River, the castle was originally constructed on the site of a moated castle, first mentioned in documents dating back to the end of the 10th century. After fire destroyed parts of the castle in 1424 and again in the middle of the 16th century, it was extensively redesigned when Weimar became the ducal family’s permanent residence. After another fire in 1618, the Italian architect Giovanni Bonalino was commissioned to begin reconstruction efforts in 1619. The castle chapel, where Johann Sebastian Bach later worked from 1708 to 1717, was completed in 1630. After the Thirty Years War, the planned four-wing annex was redesigned by Johann Moritz Richter the Elder into a Baroque three-wing annex with an opening to the south. In 1774, a fire gutted the three-wing annex, leaving only the outer walls standing. Duke Carl August appointed Johann Wolfgang Goethe to supervise a castle construction committee to commence reconstruction in 1789. The work continued until 1803 with Goethe making a significant contribution. The architects Johann August Arens, Nicolaus Friedrich Thouret and Heinrich Gentz successively created a new residence incorporating the preserved outer walls of the east and north wings. The highlights of the classical interior are the staircase and the ballroom. The Berlin sculptor Christian Friedrich Tieck was commissioned to furnish the premises with sculptures. In 1816, Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray started planning the west wing. The construction work on this wing was completed in 1847 with the consecration ceremony of the castle chapel. Along with the ducal family’s private chambers, the west wing houses the poets’ rooms, which were furnished by the Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna between 1835 and 1847. These memorial rooms honour the great poets of Weimar: Christoph Martin Wieland, Johann Gottfried Herder, Friedrich Schiller and Johann Wolfgang Goethe. The construction of the south wing from 1912 to 1914 under the supervision of Grand Duke Wilhelm Ernst closed off the courtyard to the park. The City Castle was turned into a museum in 1923, and today, also houses the administrative offices of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar.

Visitor information

Address

Castle Museum
Burgplatz 4
99423 Weimar

Current information

24.04.2016 - 28.08.2016
Die Ernestiner. Eine Dynastie prägt Europa. Thüringer Landesausstellung Gotha | Weimar

02.08.2016 - 28.08.2016
»Ich wollte die neue Welt sehen«. Die Amerikareise von Herzog Carl Bernhard von Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach. Kabinettausstellung zur Landesausstellung

Opening hours

1.1. - 23.3.
Tu We Th Fr Sa Su | 09:30 - 16:00

24.3. - 30.6.
Tu We Th Fr Sa Su | 09:30 - 18:00

1.7. - 29.10.
Tu We Th Fr Sa Su | 10:00 - 18:00

30.10. - 31.12.
Tu We Th Fr Sa Su | 10:00 - 16:00

New Years Day (Jan 1)
10:00 - 16:00 open

Good Friday
10:00 - 18:00 open

Easter Sunday till Easter Monday
10:00 - 18:00 open

Labor Day (May 1)
10:00 - 18:00 open

Ascension Day
10:00 - 18:00 open

Pentecost (Saturday and Monday)
10:00 - 18:00 open

German Unification Day (Oct 3)
10:00 - 16:00 open

Reformation Day (Oct 31)
10:00 - 16:00 open

Christmas Eve (Dec 24)
closed

Christmas Day (Dec 25)
10:00 - 16:00 open

Day after Christmas (Dec 26)
10:00 - 16:00 open

New Years Eve (Dec 31)
10:00 - 16:00 open

Regelmäßige Führung

Sa | 11:00 - 12:00
Su | 15:00 - 16:00

Prices

Adults 7,50 € | Discount 6,00 € | School Kid (16-20 years) 2,50 €
Youth under 16 years free
Audioguide available

Kombiticket zur Landesausstellung Gotha | Weimar:
Adults 16 € | Discount 12 € | School Kid (16-20 years) 5 €
Youth under 16 years free
Audioguide available

Handicap Information

Besichtigung Erdgeschoss und 1.OG für Rollstuhlfahrer möglich, Pflasterstreifen im Schlosshof, Plattformlift im Seiteneingang (max. Traglast 300kg)

Contact

Klassik Stiftung Weimar
Stabsreferat Kommunikation, Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, Marketing
Besucherinformation Stabsreferat Kommunikation, Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, Marketing
Frauentorstraße 4
99423 Weimar
Phone: +49 (0) 3643-545-400
Fax: +49 (0) 3643-41 98 16
info@klassik-stiftung.de

Gallery (11 Pictures)

Click the picture for fullscreen.

Exhibition