With more than 200 exhibits, the Bauhaus Museum in Weimar offers insights into the development of Weimar’s State Bauhaus, the 20th century’s most significant college of design.
Walter Gropius founded the Bauhaus in spring 1919. He summoned international avant-garde artists such as Lyonel Feininger, Johannes Itten, Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, Oskar Schlemmer and László Moholy-Nagy to Weimar. Based on an innovative, pluralist teaching programme including creativity training, team work and practically oriented workshop training, the Bauhaus students obtained outstanding results in the fields of fine art, design, architecture and the performing arts. The Bauhaus was driven out of Weimar in 1925, moved to Dessau and in 1932 relocated to Berlin. The National Socialists finally closed it in 1933. No other German college was as closely linked with the political, economic and cultural development of the Weimar Republic as the State Bauhaus. The memorial boards at the German National Theatre in Weimar and the Märzgefallenendenkmal (Monument to the March Dead) erected in the historic cemetery in memory of Weimar’s victims of the Kapp putsch still bear witness to this today. Both memorials were designed by Gropius. The museum tour is rounded off by the Bauhaus sites, where were granted the status of a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996, the main building of the Bauhaus University in Weimar and the Haus am Horn.
The Bauhaus stage workshop directed by Oskar Schlemmer effectively served the purpose of integration with stage experiments such as Kurt Schmidt’s Mechanisches Ballett (»Mechanical Ballet«) and Kurt Schwerdtfeger’s Reflektorische Lichtspiele (»Reflecting Plays of Light«) involving students from all of the workshops. The graphic print workshop at the Bauhaus was open to all teachers and students. This also promoted creativity of design and artistic dialogue between the future designers and architects. The most outstanding exhibits include paintings by Feininger and Klee, a cradle by Peter Keler, a table lamp by Wilhelm Wagenfeld and combination teapots by Theodor Bogler.
Since 1995, the Bauhaus Museum Weimar has been being temporarily colocated in the art museum on Theaterplatz and its entrance incorporates Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray’s classicist Kulissenhaus (depot for the court theatre). The Klassik Stiftung Weimar is currently preparing for the construction of a new museum.
Klassik Stiftung Weimar
Stabsreferat Kommunikation, Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, Marketing
Besucherinformation Stabsreferat Kommunikation, Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, Marketing
Phone: +49 (0) 3643-545-400
Fax: +49 (0) 3643-41 98 16
PDF 616.25 KB