Kochberg Park © Klassik Stiftung Weimar

Kassengewölbe Mausoleum

In around 1715, Chamberlain Christoph Jenichsen had a family grave built in the St. Jacob's Cemetery in Weimar. This consisted of an underground vault and a single-storey building in the style of a pavilion. In 1742, the mausoleum became the property of the provincial treasury (Landschaftskassendirektorium), with the nickname Kassengewölbe (treasury vault). The authorities used the vault for those highly ranked people who had no burial site of their own. 64 people had been interred there by the time it was closed in 1826. In 1854, the vault became overcrowded and the pavilion was demolished. The present-day building is a reconstruction dated back to 1927. Built on the old foundations and closely resembling the historical original, the small building rises above the former mausoleum. Stone tablets inside the building bear the names of those buried there, including Friedrich Schiller and Louise von Göchhausen, the court lady Duchess Anna Amalia. In 1826 and 1911, the presumed remains of Schiller were transferred to the Ducal Vault. Investigations carried out in 2008 (german website) revealed both identifications to be false.

Visitor information


Kassengewölbe Mausoleum
Jakobsfriedhof und Kassengewölbe
99423 Weimar

Current information

10:00 - 16:00 open

10:00 - 16:00 open

Handicap Information


Klassik Stiftung Weimar
Kommunikation, Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, Marketing
Frauentorstraße 4
99423 Weimar
Phone: +49 3643 545-400
Fax: +49 3643 545-401

Gallery (5 Pictures)

Click the picture for fullscreen.