In 2018, the Klassik Stiftung Weimar will commence extensive renovation on the Weimar City Castle. From 2 July 2018 until the end of 2021, the entire City Castle will be closed to the public.
The design of Weimar’s castle, built as a residence for the Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, has changed considerably in its 500-year history. Situated on the bank of the Ilm River, the castle was originally constructed on the site of a moated castle, first mentioned in documents dating back to the end of the 10th century. After fire destroyed parts of the castle in 1424 and again in the middle of the 16th century, it was extensively redesigned when Weimar became the ducal family’s permanent residence. After another fire in 1618, the Italian architect Giovanni Bonalino was commissioned to begin reconstruction efforts in 1619. The castle chapel, where Johann Sebastian Bach later worked from 1708 to 1717, was completed in 1630. After the Thirty Years War, the planned four-wing annex was redesigned by Johann Moritz Richter the Elder into a Baroque three-wing annex with an opening to the south. In 1774, a fire gutted the three-wing annex, leaving only the outer walls standing. Duke Carl August appointed Johann Wolfgang Goethe to supervise a castle construction committee to commence reconstruction in 1789. The work continued until 1803 with Goethe making a significant contribution. The architects Johann August Arens, Nicolaus Friedrich Thouret and Heinrich Gentz successively created a new residence incorporating the preserved outer walls of the east and north wings. The highlights of the classical interior are the staircase and the ballroom. The Berlin sculptor Christian Friedrich Tieck was commissioned to furnish the premises with sculptures. In 1816, Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray started planning the west wing. The construction work on this wing was completed in 1847 with the consecration ceremony of the castle chapel. Along with the ducal family’s private chambers, the west wing houses the poets’ rooms, which were furnished by the Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna between 1835 and 1847. These memorial rooms honour the great poets of Weimar: Christoph Martin Wieland, Johann Gottfried Herder, Friedrich Schiller and Johann Wolfgang Goethe. The construction of the south wing from 1912 to 1914 under the supervision of Grand Duke Wilhelm Ernst closed off the courtyard to the park. The City Castle was turned into a museum in 1923, and today, also houses the administrative offices of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar.
02.07.2018 - 31.12.2023
closed - 2018 tritt die Klassik Stiftung in die zentrale Phase der Gesamtinstandsetzung des Stadtschlosses ein. Ab dem 2. Juli 2018 bis voraussichtlich Ende 2023 ist das Stadtschloss daher komplett geschlossen.
Klassik Stiftung Weimar
Kommunikation, Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, Marketing
Phone: +49 3643 545-400
Fax: +49 3643 419-816
PDF 554,71 KB
PDF 2,17 MB