Johann Joachim Winckelmann. Painting by Anton von Maron, 1768. Palace Museum in City Palace © Klassik Stiftung Weimar

Pogwisch House bursaries

The Pogwisch House bursaries are residential subsidies awarded to renowned scientists in all disciplines. They offer recipients the opportunity to stay at Pogwisch House for up to two months free of charge.

Pogwisch House

Pogwisch House was originally a garden house built on the eastern slope of the Ilm park in the 18th century; it became the property of the Goethes at the beginning of the 19th century when Ottilie von Pogwisch married into the family. After undergoing extensive refurbishment, Pogwisch House was pressed into service by the Stiftung in 2008 and is now an exclusive guesthouse. It is located in the immediate vicinity of Goethe’s garden house.

Applications and awards

The winners of the Pogwisch bursaries are chosen by the President in agreement with the Klassik Stiftung’s research council. Proposals for a Pogwisch bursary are sent to the President directly or via the Klassik Stiftung’s competent personnel. The research and education department looks after the award holders. Award-winning scientists are obliged to mention the receipt of this bursary in a prominent place in the work prepared in Weimar.