The Carriage Museum in Auerstedt is currently closed until further notice. Tours can still be arranged by phone for groups of five people or more. For more information, please contact the »Heimat- und Traditionsverein Auerstedt« at +49 36461 20704 or +49 36461 22127.
In the former livery stables of Auerstedt Castle, visitors can view an impressive collection of original carriages used by the dukes and grand dukes of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. The carriage collection of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar features a number of vehicles used for various purposes, such as visits of state, royal weddings, city tours, travelling and hunting, as well as a children’s carriage, sedan and »walking machine«. The carriages on display were built in Thuringia (Weimar, Gotha and Eisenach), Vienna, Amsterdam and St. Petersburg between ca. 1760 and ca. 1890.
The carriages, which were sent as dowries to the Weimar court, comprise the main focus of the collection. These include the wedding carriage in which the Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna (1786-1859) and the Hereditary Prince Carl Friedrich (1783-1853) travelled from St. Petersburg back to Weimar in 1804, along with a Russian hackney carriage and hired coach. Another matrimonial carriage and dormeuse were added to the royal stables in Weimar with the marriage of Princess Sophie of the Netherlands (1824–1897) and the Hereditary Grand Duke Carl Alexander (1818–1901). One of the highlights of the collection is the convex chassis of a carriage (»bombée en tout sens«), which Duke August of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg commissioned the royal coach maker Mentzel of Gotha to build. The duke dispatched the state carriage to meet Emperor Napoleon I on the occasion of the Congress of Princes in Erfurt in autumn 1808. This round-bodied vehicle exemplified the latest form of Parisian carriage design at the turn of the 19th century and is thought to be one of the last remaining examples of its kind.
In 1818, the Weimar fleet of carriages also acquired a two-wheeled »walking machine« which was regarded as a modern method of travel at the time. The Grand Duke Carl August (1757 -1828) commissioned Karl Baron von Drais of Mannheim, the inventor of the bicycle principle, to construct the device as a gift to his son Carl Friedrich. This walking machine, known as the “Draisine” is the second-oldest specimen known to have been constructed in Drais’s workshop.
All the vehicles in the Historic Carriage Collection were acquired from the estate of the former grand ducal family of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.
Heimat- und Traditionsverein Auerstedt e.V.
Phone and Fax: +49 (0) 36461 - 23983
Hotel Resort Schloss Auerstedt
Phone: +49 (0) 36461 - 87762
Carriage Museum in Auerstedt
01.05.2018 - 31.12.2019
closed - Gruppen ab 5 Personen bitte unter folgender Nummer anmelden: Heimat- und Traditionsverein Auerstedt 036461/20704 oder 036461/22127