Projects of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar are funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the Free State of Thuringia, represented by the State Chancellery of Thuringia, Department of Culture and the Arts.
The Renaissance-style moated castle was built around 1600 on the site of a medieval fortress. The Barons von Stein purchased the estate in 1733 and had considerable renovation work done to the buildings. Charlotte von Stein and her eldest son Carl made Kochberg Castle an artistic and social centre in the late 18th and early 19th century.
The last private owner of the castle and estate was Count Woldemar von Schwerin, a nephew of Felix von Stein who passed away in 1938. The East German communist party seized the property as part of its land reform scheme in 1945. Following transferral of ownership to the Countesses von Schwerin, the Free State of Thuringia and the Cultural Foundation of German States purchased the cultural assets in 2014.
Kochberg Castle was placed under the management of the National Research and Memorial Sites of Classic German Literature in Weimar (NFG) in 1964, a predecessor institution of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar. The NFG carried out extensive renovations and restoration of the manor from 1968 until the castle museum opened in 1975.